need to search my page or the net?

Google
 

Friday, June 6, 2008

Animals with a bad rap...

So as a little girl in middle school, essentially a lone wolf, I read tons of books and kept to myself. One of my favorite series besides all the Star Wars books, was the Redwall series. A magical world of talking animals who slung swords and shot arrows at the bad guys. The bad guys consisted of weasels, stoats, rats, ferrets and the like. The good guys were mice, badgers (how in the hell?), moles, otters and so on. This categorization of certain animals as bad guys always sort of upset me. Wolves are almost always the villain and they are my favorite animal. I remember reading Outcast of Redwall and it was about this ferret named Veil who is raised in the abbey with all the good animals but he's still sort of a bad guy. I always wanted a ferret, and now that they're legal in Kentucky, I got one. I named her Alice Liddel, you know, Alice in Wonderland. There was this little boy ferret with a silver head and I wanted to get him and name him Veil Sixclaw, but he was a little rough and didn't seem too interested in me. Alice though, she followed my movements as I walked around and just telepathically begged me to pick her up. She's as sweet as can be and I wonder how a violent creature like a badger can be a good guy, but a sweet cuddly ferret is a bad guy. I believe animals can be like humans in the fact that they are neither inherently good or evil. Wolves are majestic and the Indians even thought (in some tribes) that we all evolved from the wolf. Sorry, enough rambling. I just sort of always wondered. Meh, I'm going to go play with my new little friend. Later!

No comments: